Sunday, August 30, 2015

Agri-Spouse Friday - Week 1

Welcome to our very first week of Agri-Spouse Quilt Along. I am very excited and hope you are too. This is the first time that I have written quilting instructions so I hope that I have written what is needed. Should there be any questions, please feel free to let me know and I will clarify as needed.

It is finally time to actually start piecing our first two blocks. These are the methods that I am using but I have no doubt that there are many other options available. These instructions are just how I am doing it.

I will also be pressing every seam sewn to "set" the seam before pressing the seam to one side. Pressing has an up and down motion only - no side to side, sliding motion like ironing. To "set" a seam, take your piece just as you get it from the machine and without opening it or anything at all, press the newly sewn seam. This "sets" the seam, making it a stronger seam (or something like this, I think this is why we do it, I just know that we are supposed to do it, can't remember why, just that it is important LOL!)

The first block we are going to do today is Block #4 - Basket Weave.

Start by cutting three strips of fabric measuring 1 1/2" by 15". 





Place two pieces of fabric right side together (now - RST for Right Side Together), ensuring that one of the pieces you choose is the fabric that you want in the centre of the three pieces. Sew a 1/4" seam along the long side of the fabric.
Set the seam and press to one side.














Take your third piece of fabric and place it RST with the fabric you want for your middle fabric and sew a 1/4" seam along the long side.
Set the seam and press to one side.







Square up one end of your long piece of fabric and cut four pieces that are 3 1/2" long.
Arrange your four pieces like the picture and then place two RST and sew a 1/4" seam and place the other two RST and sew a 1/4" seam.
Set the seam and press to one side.





Place the last two pieces RST and sew a 1/4" seam.
Set the seam and press to one side.
Your first block is finished!











The second block we are going to do today is Block #2 - Autumn Tints.

Cut 2 squares 2" by 2" in one colour.Cut 2 squares 2" by 2" in another colour.

Cut 4 squares 2" by 2" in a third colour.
Cut 2 square 3 1/2" by 3 1/2" in a fourth colour.








Take each of the four 2" squares and place them RST with one each of the squares of the other 2 colours. Sew a 1/4" seam along one side. Set the seam and press the seam to the side of the colour that you have four of. In my case I pressed all of the seams AWAY from the pink. This will allow the seams to "nest" neatly later.





Place one of the green sets RST with one of the yellow sets, making sure to match the middle seam neatly. Sew a 1/4" seam along the long side. Set the seam and press to one side. Repeat with the other set.








This time you need to be a little bit more careful before sewing the seams. Arrange your four pieces in front of you the way you want them to end up. I decided to have the yellow squares in the centre so I placed everything right side up the way I wanted it to finish. Then I flipped one four patch onto one blue square RST and sew a 1/4" seam along the flip line. Set the seam and press the seam towards the blue. Repeat for the other four patch and large blue square.


I mucked up here and didn't follow my own rules so don't make my mistake! Place your two pieces RSU (Right Side Up) in the order you want them to end up (I didn't do this and ended up sewing the wrong seam and stitch ripping. Whoops!). Flip the one piece onto the other RST, making sure to match the centre seam nice and tidy. The seams should nest nicely if you have pressed both pieces to the big square. Sew the long seam. Set the seam and press to one side and you are finished your second block! 



Next week there are three blocks but two of them are simple straight line blocks like these two. The third has a couple of HSTs (Half Square Triangle) but just the one double set and straight lines otherwise. Don't worry, we're easing into the harder blocks!

See you next week!



Tara


No comments:

Post a Comment